"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." -----Martin Luther King, Jr.
"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet,regardless of time, place, or circumstance.The thread may stretch or tangle,but it will never break."
- ancient Chinese belief

Friday, August 20, 2010

We're here!


Yes, we are home! Yes, we are fine! Yes, we are tired! Yes, we are busy!


And YES, we are happy!


Our flights home were smooth sailing except for that Junie was up almost the ENTIRE time. She took 2 30 minute catnaps during the 14 hour flight from Hong Kong to Detroit. I seriously thought I was going to lose my mind. We had a wake up call at 5:30 that A.M. in Hong Kong and I know she was exhausted. But she just couldn't fall asleep.


When we got to Detroit, we went through customs and immigration without a hitch. David and I congratulated Junie on becoming an American citizen with hugs and kisses. We had plenty of time to catch our connecting flight (our travel agent said we'd be cutting it close), in fact, I'd have hated it if we'd had to wait any longer to get home. Our 2nd flight was fine and THEN Junie decided to sleep! It worked out fine as she was somewhat rested to meet the family.


When we got the the ATL airport, we were greeted at the top of the escalator by the boys and ALL of the extended family. It was awesome! They had posters and it was just perfect. Junie was very brave and let me hug everyone before demanding to move from Daddy to Mommy's arms.


Junie was at first a tad hesitant of the boys and they had (have) "new puppy syndrome" with her. We still have to keep an eye on them and make sure they are not invading her personal space too much but for the most part, she enjoys them (sometimes puts up with them) and they LOVE her. The best part of the day is family dinner where she will usually crack us all up by doing something cute!


She actually put her arms out to Jack on Sunday.

"Danced" in her highchair when we all sang a song at the table.

"Plays" at the dishwasher - just like all the boys did.

Crawling all over the place.

And more I just can't think of b/c I am doing this last minute while she naps...


Oh, we have a master on the main so I purchased a nice portacrib for our room thinking she'd be in there for months after we came home and then after her surgery, whenever she was sick, etc.

Well, she slept there the first few nights and then on Monday night, she woke up at 3:30, wide awake and "calling" us. After still not falling back to sleep in our bed, I brought her up to her room and rocked her. She then sat up on my lap and started pointing to everything, babbling and then patting herself on the head and other bizarre behavior which I have come to recognize as overtired/overstimulated behavior. (this is what she did for 13 of the 14 hours of the flight from Hong Kong to Detroit, I kid you not!). At that point, I put her in her crib, covered her up and went back to the rocker to see how she'd do. She stood up (but couldn't see me), whimpered for a moment, plopped down and went to sleep until 8!


So, that night, I thought I'd try her in her bed to start and bring her down if she woke up and was upset. I put her to bed at 9 and didn't hear a peep from her until 8 the next day! So much for the portacrib. She has been sleeping like a champ (if only I could say the same) at night and naptime. I love that!


I will try to post more soon. The boys' school system changed their calendar this year and they start this Monday, Aug. 23rd. MUCH later than last year's Aug 9th. It just could not have been better timing. This week has been awesome with them getting to know each other and not having to worry about schedules or homework. And, I think next week I will be ready to have her alone and get into a routine with her.


I sometimes look at her and just simply cannot believe it.

She is ours.

She is wonderful.


i will "update" with long overdue good pix from China: Gotcha Day, etc. next!

3 comments:

  1. So thankful you all are doing SO well! God is so good and faithful!!! Junie is a doll and love the pic at the top. :)
    Blessings!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! MK looked at her and said, "Hey, there her is with her family!" Glad all is well and glad she is sleeping....now, you are long overdue for a good night's rest....SLEEP! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that sweet Junie is getting all settled in!!! I will be thinking of you on Monday as our boy's are starting school too! They have been such a big help to me this past week! I will be all alone with my virtual twins!!!!!!
    Miss you too,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete